COVID-19 Pandemic (U.S. & Canada): Resources for Musicians
COVID-19 Pandemic (U.S. & Canada): Resources for Musicians
The Network of Music Career Development Officers (NETMCDO) is collecting information on these resources as quickly as we can, to help as many people as we can. People who might need immediate help, guidance, or a place to start. At this time, NETMCDO is not endorsing or vetting the information found on this page.
Thank you to the following contributors for the info below: Christine Beamer, John K. Blanchard, Jan Bottomer, Casey Molino Dunn, Christina Manceo, and Patch Schwadron.
[created March 20, 2020, updated May 11 and May 19, 2020, marked *NEW! below]
To contribute additional resources or make corrections, e-mail John K. Blanchard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have used the following (somewhat arbitrary) categories on this page for now:
- Canadian Resources *NEW!
- Facebook Groups
- Funding (General)
- Funding List (Geographic)
- Funding Source
- Funding Source (Specific Geographic Area)
- Funding Source (Specific Geographic Area & Union)
- Resource List (General)
- Resource List (Geographic)
- Resources (General Arts)
- *NEW! Canada Council for the Arts: https://canadacouncil.ca/covid-19-information
Important Information related to COVID-19: Current information and FAQs. If you have a COVID-19 related question for the Canada Council, please email: email@example.com. While we aim to reply to all questions within two business days, our ability to do so may be affected by the volume of queries received and by staff availability to respond.
- *NEW! Canadian Live Music Association: https://canadianlivemusic.ca/covid-19-resources/
COVID-19 Resources for the Live Music Industry - The CLMA is attempting to collate all relevant information for the live music industry. Tip Sheet on Completing COVID-19 Related Records of Employment for laid-off employees
- *NEW! I Lost My Gig Canada: https://ilostmygig.ca
I Lost My Gig Canada, a space for creative industries and other vulnerable freelance and gig economy workers to connect and share stories in response to growing income precarity in Canada.
- Opera.ca (Canada) COVID-19 Resources For Artists http://www.opera.ca/whats-new/operaca-covid-19-resources-artists
Unison Benevolent Fund is a non-profit, registered charity that provides counselling and emergency relief services to the Canadian music community. We are here to help professional music-makers in times of hardship, illness or economic difficulties.
This is a very challenging time for our industry, especially for the music-makers and music professionals in our community, many of whom are dealing with canceled performances, and loss of work. The Unison office has decided to compile a list of helpful resources for Canadian music-makers and music professionals to help navigate mentally and physically at this time so, let's work on getting ...
Funding List (Geographic)
Funding Source (Specific Geographic Area, also see "Canadian Resources" above)
Funding Source (Union)
Funding Source (Specific Geographic Area & Union)
Resource List (General)
- American Composers Forum Response to Covid-19 https://composersforum.org/acf-response-to-covid-19/
- Americans for the Arts CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) RESOURCE AND RESPONSE CENTER https://www.americansforthearts.org/by-topic/disaster-preparedness/coronavirus-covid-19-resource-and-response-center
- Artists at Risk Connection https://artistsatriskconnection.org/story/covid-19-resources-for-artists
- CERF+: Emergency Financial Assistance https://cerfplus.org/get-ready/studio-protector/get-help-portal/emergency-relief-resources-from-arts-organizations/
- The Artists Trust: Growing List of Resources in Response to COVID-19 https://artisttrust.org/covid-19-resources-list/
- Coronavirus Resource Kit (includes many Mutual Aid Societies) https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1Rcan4C_e6OBFBI5bUn7MtYK74Ab-WarxyJmDvZUI_YA/
- Creative Capital: Creative Capital has always been anchored by a rich spirit of community and mutual generosity, and we believe that continuing communication and exchange are crucial for all of us. As COVID-19 continues to spread across the United States, we have created a list of resources for artists working in all disciplines, as well as arts philanthropists, and arts professionals. Creative Capital’s List of Arts Resources During the COVID-19 Outbreak https://creative-capital.org/2020/03/13/list-of-arts-resources-during-the-covid-19-outbreak/
- Audio Assemble's Financial Resources for Musicians During The Coronavirus Outbreak: https://audioassemble.com/resources-for-musicians-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak/#chartdiv
- Free-lance Artists: An aggregated list of FREE resources, opportunities, and financial relief options available to artists of all disciplines. This list is specifically designed to serve freelance artists, and those interested in supporting the independent artist community. This includes, but is not limited to, actors, designers, producers, technicians, stage managers, musicians, composers, choreographers, visual artists, filmmakers, craft artists, teaching artists, dancers, writers & playwrights, photographers, etc. COVID-19 & Freelance Artists: https://covid19freelanceartistresource.wordpress.com/
- Freelancers & Community Resources 2020 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xt1QZlGsyga_HrXagubV9O0rebV5dx4DuMOd2sWvWwc/edit
- Grantmakers in the Arts’ COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and Arts Funding https://www.giarts.org/blog/admin/covid-19-coronavirus-and-arts-funding-update-and-action-items
- I CARE IF YOU LISTEN’S COVID-19 Emergency Funding and Artist Resources https://www.icareifyoulisten.com/2020/03/covid-19-emergency-funding-artist-resources/
- Leads on Finding Remote (sometimes non-arts) work https://skillcrush.com/blog/sites-finding-remote-work
- Music Teacher Resources for School Closures (Online & No Tech Ideas) https://nafme.org/music-teacher-resources-school-closures
- MusiCares provides a safety net of critical assistance for music people in times of need. They have an application for musicians in need of assistance due to COVID-19: https://www.grammy.com/musicares/get-help/musicares-coronavirus-relief-fund
- The Musicians Foundation is the country’s oldest independent nonprofit organization dedicated to providing financial assistance to musicians and their families in times of need, crisis, or transition. They are planning to launch a CV19 Emergency Aid Grant Program here: http://www.musiciansfoundation.org/apply/
- NAFME (the National Association for Music Education) has collated a list of music teacher resources for school closures, including a number of online resources for music learning and teaching and a COVID-19 Resource page: https://nafme.org/covid-19/
- National Alliance for Musical Theatre’s COVID-19 Resources https://namt.org/home/covid-19-resources/
- National Performance Network, whose mission is advancing racial and cultural justice in the arts; fostering relationship-building and reciprocity between individuals, institutions and communities; and working towards systems change in arts and philanthropy, has created a resource list for artists with not only funding, but ideas for online teaching and performing work, online arts events, mental health resources, and more: https://npnweb.org/covid-19-resources/
- National Endowment for the Arts’s COVID-19 Resources for Artists and Arts Organizations https://www.arts.gov/covid-19-resources-artists-and-arts-organizations
- North American Performing Arts Managers and Agents’ COVID-19 FAQs https://napama.org/Coronavirus_FAQs
- NYFA’s Resources & Updates https://current.nyfa.org/post/612485365185560576/covid-19-resources-and-updates-from-nyfa
- Teaching Artists Guild COVID-19 RESOURCES FOR TEACHING ARTISTS https://teachingartistsguild.org/covid-19-resources/
- Teaching Music in the Age of COVID-19: A Collaborative Effort by College Music Society https://www.music.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2968:teaching-music-in-the-age-of-covid-19-a-collaborative-effort-by-cms&catid=139&Itemid=2585
- U.S. Department of Arts and Culture’s Community Care in the Time of Coronavirus https://usdac.us/news-long/2020/3/15/community-care-in-the-time-of-coronavirus
Resource List (Geographic)
Resources (General Arts)
- Jamkazam: Revolutionizing the way musicians connect, play, learn and earn. Across a city or across a nation. https://www.jamkazam.com/
- Soundtrap is an online studio software that allows you to record, edit and collaborate on music. https://www.soundtrap.com/